View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #6
whswhs

Default Re: Fantasy Leverage

I haven't seen a game along these lines, or run one. I have run a straight 21st century campaign in this style, where the PCs were "consulting criminals." I ran into one big booby trap you might want to watch out for: One of the players really loved planning, so he played the planner, and a session would start with extensive research, brainstorming, and working out details. This went quite well: The PCs really were good, and their well planned capers came off with almost no hitches. And by the second caper the rest of the players thought this was about as exciting as the proverbial watching paint dry.

What salvaged the campaign was a different approach: The planner got to make an initial Leadership roll after they got the basic information. For each two successes, he got to say, "Ah, but my plan allowed for that!" once, for himself or another of the team. And then he could make up whatever sounded plausible. That was a lot more fun, as it gave the players both the criminals' sense of competence and the audience's sense of surprise.

It might not work for you, or you might have players who like watching their plans go off without a hitch. But it's possible it could be useful.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote