View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Rupert

Default Re: [BS] Lack of Fossil Fuel and Firearm Manufacturing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Anyway, industrialization is inevitable regardless of fossil fuels, so it changes a lot of what I've been thinking. They probably start with waterwheels, steam engines causes some turmoils due to increased wood consumption (could plant mages help here? I think Bless Plant could be used here to make managed forests more efficient and supply most or all charcoal needs), the concept of ICE is introduced but lack of fossil fuel would make it moot but other technologies could be adapted to use waterwheels and steam engines. Later on technology to create water turbines could help make Yrth catch up on the modern world by using dams.
Well, once you have enough power, you can make liquid fuels from biomass, allowing for more portable steam engines and also internal combustion engines.
Quote:
Of course, I don't see why the Ytarria residents couldn't contribute and making technologies based on reality but diverged through the addition of magic. I don't want to approach this by making steam engines efficient through some wild application of fire and water magic, I'd rather adopt Mana Engines from Spaceships, steampunk is overused.
Steam engines don't imply steampunk. Steam was common in ships until after WWII, and it's still how coal powerplants turn the coal into electricity (and nuclear powerplants are steam engines).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote