View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 02:23 AM   #29
Tyneras

Default Re: Typical ST for a war bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Ah I was thinking in terms of a stronger archer, but yes if your seeing it in terms of a more powerful powerful bow I can see what you mean.

Personally I'd say the combination of needing high St and High skill is potentially double dipping the cost of accessing this effect.
Since the bonus is entirely houserule I don't feel too bad about the rather steep cost.

Bows occupy an interesting niche as far as muscle powered weapons. Imagine if a knight had to get a new, precisely calibrated sword every time his ST changed.

My general philosophy on arming archers is that an (adventuring) archer will get the most powerful bow they can afford, up to their effective ST for using a bow. The corollary being that if a single design is mass produced and issued en masse, those archers will train up to the ST needed for that bow and generally no farther.

Quote:
In terms of stringer bows being more difficult to control I'd say its a more a factor of trying to keep a heavy bow drawn while aiming. If you use the AP system you can show that with a little tweaking. (I think historically heavy war bows were not aimed for this very reason, but then that's because they were shooting at larger patches of ground at set distances)
Hadn't considered AP, I'll look into that. Thanks!
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote