View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Will buy: UT2: Revised / Reworked Weapon Tables (Post-Pyramid etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Those are things I would support errataing, rather than creating and buying a whole new PDF for. I'll have to check out those sights when I get home, but they sound overpowered. Tactical Shooting gives a bonus for rangefinders in very specific sniping situations. I don't know if they would apply in general run-of-the-mill firefights.
It's restricted to aimed shots, right? Rangefinding is an expected feature on a modern tank gun, and I'm pretty sure that's because it's useful. Small arms don't usually have computer sights and rangefinding hardware today, but technology may change that.

I suspect the rangefinding bonus is only really appropriate beyond point-blank range, where bullet drop is sufficient to require compensation. It may not be expected that you'd be aiming a weapon so equipped closer than that.

Also, I'm not sure, but the rangefinding bonus may be in the bucket of bunuses that are not allowed to exceed the base accuracy of the weapon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Agreed on the HT ammo types, though I think that in real life, most of the crazy ammo types are only used in tank cannon rounds or autocannons. Like I said, show me an APDS+P 7.62mm NATO round manfactured by a real company and I'll eat one (with a knife and fork)...
It may not come in +P, but there is SLAP, which appears to be an APDS round, in 7.62mm NATO. Designated M948 by the US army. Undercaliber and even fin-stabilized small-arms ammo is a real thing. It's not usually used much, I think, but that's more a matter of applicability. Remember, flechette rifles are technically do-able but tend to be rejected because small caliber fin-stabilized darts are lacking in antipersonnel performance.