Thread: Wizard Vows
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #50
gjc8

Default Re: Wizard Vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
Okay, for spells at 15+ (I thought it needed 20+), mages aren't really affected in their casting by the Vow. But below that (really, any character that took this Vow before becoming a powerful wizard) it would disable almost all spells. I can't imagine any wizard apprentice with this Vow, while I can imagine an apprentice fighter with the "no edged weapons" Vow, even an effective one. That's why I keep saying that one is a lot harsher than the other. That's why I think that these two Vows are not priced correctly against each other.
You arguably have a point that a Vow of silence is underpriced compared to, say, Mute. But you're really not making your point very well.

Avoiding disadvantages that cripple your character isn't double-dipping, it's the basic assumption. This is realistic; people who can't speak don't usually spend a lot of time practicing things that require speech to use (like spells), just like absolute Pacifists don't spend a lot of time training to fight.

Vow: Do not Speak isn't priced based on the assumption that it will be taken by someone with a bunch of spells at 14 (neither is Mute). The fact that a disadvantage cripples SOMEONE isn't really relevant; the price is based on how inconvenient it would be to someone who might actually have that disadvantage.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote