Thread: Wizard Vows
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #49
Ts_

Default Re: Wizard Vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Why? The character can't talk - the effect on spellcasting is only part of it (and even then high enough skill eliminates it).
Okay, for spells at 15+ (I thought it needed 20+), mages aren't really affected in their casting by the Vow. But below that (really, any character that took this Vow before becoming a powerful wizard) it would disable almost all spells. I can't imagine any wizard apprentice with this Vow, while I can imagine an apprentice fighter with the "no edged weapons" Vow, even an effective one. That's why I keep saying that one is a lot harsher than the other. That's why I think that these two Vows are not priced correctly against each other.

But you can even disregard the relative pricing of these two Vows: That still doesn't explain why a Vow "always keep silent" is worth significantly less than the disadvantage not to speak. Where do their effects differ? And if there is something intrinsic in a Vow that makes it a softer disad, what does this mean for the "no edged weapons" Vow? Is it also the softer version of a -30 limitation not to use edged weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Would you tell a Dance Mage that they can't get -30 points back from Mute because they can still cast spells?
Never mind that a Dance Mage isn't just a gesture mage - they need to be standing with their legs free and on a good enough surface to dance on. It's like a sub-skill-12 mage without the time penalty and the added shouting.
"Gesture" was the short version, as Dance is even less intuitive imho. Anyway, it's probably offtopic. The only reason I brought up Dance magic was to show that there are variant mages that can work around the problems of a Mute wizard. But that kind of Magery might or might not exist in the game, while fighters with crushing weapons are always in the game.

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote