View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Icelander

Default Re: Sailing Ships -At least until CCoI (Low-Tech) arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis
Thanks for posting these. Please post more. :)
If you had a choice, what would you prefer to see first:

a) Nordic knarr, longboat, dragon ship and great drakkar.
b) Caravel, caravel redonda and a later vessel built in the same style purely for warfare.
c) Early frigates and small galleons.
d) Early cogs, Hanseatic cogs and cogs designed for warfare.
e) Carracks and great ships.
f) Brigantines, pinnaces, brigs and snow-brigs.
g) Schooners, xebecs and xebec-frigates.
h) Cutters, corvettes and sloops-of-war.
j) Frigates and ships-of-the-line.

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd call the stats in Fantasy "worse than nothing" (that seems a little harsh),
If I use them, either as is or to work out the stats of related vehicles, I get a result that is historically nonsensicial and offends common sense. This breaks suspension of disbelief and hurts my gaming.

Quote:
but one thing I've always liked about 4e GURPS is how easy it is to make new vehicles. In effect, very few vehicles at TL 8 or below have to be designed because you can use existing vehicles and all you really have to do is calculate the HP and guesstimate a few things like HT, Hnd, and SR. And for TL 9+ vehicles, if you need to figure out something quickly, you can often use TL 8 vehicles but make them better somehow (longer range, greater speed, higher DR, etc.).

Mark
Not enough TL0-TL5 watercraft have been detailed to make it possible to use this method. I have to find sources for real world tonnage, speed, length, beam, draft and other data in order to make up my stats. This is work I'd rather not do, but have resigned myself to the necessity.