View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Buzzardo

Default Re: Proof of concept: Ogre over the internet via Google Docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabliser View Post
Tabletop forge are now on kickstarter ... darn copycats! ;) - I don't know if that makes it better for playing ogre online or not, I guess we'll need to see how it develops.

EDIT: I just found this in a comment on the tabletop forge kickstarter:

"Also, we do plan on integrating an in-app store so people can purchase licensed content such as commercial maps"

I wonder if this is an avenue SJG might explore to deliver future ogre material online?
The trouble with that idea is that everyone, their dog, and their dog's fleas all have different formats for how to store a map electronically. SJG only wins with something like that if they can make one file and have it work for all kinds of platforms (which is why they love PDF). The time it would take to support more than one format kills their profit margin.

They could try an XML-based format (SVG, perhaps). Then loonies such as me who work for their channel partners could transform* that format into other formats (within the scope of the licensing agreement with the channel partner, of course).

*Data transformation is my primary specialty when I program

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote