View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
Bowser

Default Re: G.E.V. Revision History (and how it relates to Ogre 6e)

I still stand by what I said: I LIKE the modified version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
I do think the clarification that a GEV can not transfer the bonus between road and water is important (there are enough places where there is a road hex next to a water hex).
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolanus View Post
Perhaps remove the ending "or a smooth beach," since there is no clear definition of what a beach is, and it can just as easily be handled by a ramp. I don't see being able to logically connect a road to water with a beach...
I can logically see it. There are lots of "beach-side" roads that could be taken advantage of by a force of GEVs roaring in off the water of a large lake or ocean. This could be an advantage in scenarios where reinforcements come in from a map edge that is water: Get them GEVs to the combat zone quickly!!

And as far as the definition of what a beach is, it is what the scenario's designer decides it is. Just like any ramp. That's the beauty of it: If the designer forgets to indicate it, it ain't there no matter what you think the terrain looks like "for real".

But as I've said before, what I really like is that it takes a situation that might or might not be implicit and explicitly states what a scenario's designer could or could not do. Anything that removes ambiguity means that's one less "house rule" that someone will have to juggle.

[I'm not disparaging your efforts, they are well argued. And Steve seemed to lean in your direction. I simply disagree, but don't read into my reply "strongly" disagree. I can live with it either way. :) ]