View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #15
Tomsdad

Default Re: Body Armor level DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Uh huh. I know of an incident c. 1990 where a SWAT team member in a full assault vest was killed by a single hit from a .25 ACP. It went in the arm hole and right to the heart. Gurps doesn't really cover that yet it's the sort of thing that happens in the real world.
That to me sounds like a job for the armour gaps rules in LT and armpit gap in armour load outs. (Pyramid 3/57 also references this kind of attack as does TS) Not sure how to do them randomly though.

Also I'm guessing in reality a big factor here is angle of attack. As stated Bullet vest etc are very concentrated on frontal attacks. GURPS doesn't really do this. If nothing else it people don't just stand or crouch statically presenting the same facing to the same hex ranges so it tricky to implement. The variable damage kind of covers this (but as you say doesn't help you in this situation of .25 vs. assault vest*). So maybe a way to do it is have a different coverage range for hits from different angles. So for instance a vest might be 5 in 6 from the front, but 4 in 6 from the side. You might nee do factor the plates in separately especially if you are or aren't using the side plates.

Fiddly though!

Another way round it is to have replace an entry on the critical hit table to be something like:

"triple damage or normal damage and no DR if triple damage isn't enough to penetrate DR".

Which I quite like, might look at swapping some other results out for either/or ones!

*you'd need what to miss the plates, just go against the vest DR 12 get a good enough crit result to do that and get the 1 in 6 vitals result!