View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #402
Icelander

Default Armour-Piercing Ammunition in Mexican Service in 2017

Does anyone know whether the Mexican Army or security services have any kind of armour-piercing ammunition in stores or being issued for service in February 2017?

I'm primarily thinking about the 7.62x51mm ammunition for their G3A3 and G3A4 battle rifles, as well as their GPMGs, and the 5.56x45mm ammunition for their various assault rifles, but if anyone has heard about any other type of armour-piercing ammunition, I'd also be interested.

I'm looking to get data on the specific rounds used by the Mexican security forces when they anticipate facing opposition in body armour (tactical gear with trauma plates) or light armoured vehicles (mostly trucks with steel plates giving DR 20-50).

It may, of course, be that the Mexican security forces are still as ill-prepared as they were in 2009-2011, when they were severely outgunned in several engagements by cartel paramilitary units, but I think there has to be at least a chance that they are better equipped to face such threats these days.

With the 12.5% yearly desertion rate from the Mexican Army (which might be a decent average to use as a base for other services) and the frequent occurance of the soldiers taking their rifle and issue ammunition with them to sell on the black market, as well as the possibility of any item in stores and armouries unaccountably finding its way into unlicensed hands, any kind of ammunition available to Mexican security forces also has a high chance of being available to cartel sicarios.

So, I'm trying to find out what specific rounds might be in service, whether they count as AP or APHC in GURPS terms and, if possible, what kind of penetrator they fire, how many grains the projectiles are and what the velocity is like.

Obviously, there might exist 7.62x39mm ammunition from other sources that counts as AP or even APHC, but I'm trying to define the threat levels beyond that.