View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #45
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] Pulp Psi-Phi

OK, unless I get an answer that I can understand (e.g. one that doesn't make me feel like I'm really bad at explaining myself), I'm going to guess that 'Limited mass-production' is -15%, and 'No mass-production' is -30% (I kind of wonder if that works, since that lead to fudging the result for Astral Binding):

Intuitive Engineer, 20 points
A precognitive ability to 'see what will work.'
Statistics: Gadgeteer (ESP, -10%; No superscience, -10%) [20]

Lucky Inventor, 20 points
You tend to accidentally stumble on the right ideas for your problem.
Statistics: Gadgeteer (Probability Alteration, -10%; No superscience, -10%) [20]
Neither of these allow Quick Gadgeteering, and both are limited to mundane technology no more than two TLs ahead of the user - no superscience tech. Outside of this, they are mechanically identical to normal Gadgeteering.

Psychography, 14/28

Also called 'attunement,' this is the ability to create (what appears to be) superscience psi tech. Mechanically similar to standard Gadgeteering, save for the production phase. As all such items are psychically attuned, rather than creating or imitating psi effects through advanced circuitry (which would require TL12 in this setting), they cannot truly be mass-produced. Instead, treat 'production models' as prototypes, save that they are faster to produce, and have no bugs. Appropriate skills include Weird Science/TL6^, Ritual Magic, Symbol Drawing, Herb Lore/TL4^, or Alchemy/TL5^. Pharmacy (Psi)/TL6^ is slowly being developed from the latter two.

Statistics: Gadgeteer (Meta-Psi, -10%; Focused, Psi-Tech, -20%; Limited mass-production, -15%) [14/level]

Astral Binding, 5/10

Skill: Astral Binding (Will/Hard).

This is the ability to create a charm or fetish, temporarily or permanently binding an astral entity to an item, and granting the item power as a result. The Concept roll would be based on Occultism (with double the penalty), Hidden Lore (generally Spirits but Faeries, Demons, Angels, or Ultraterrestrials may also be appropriate), or a similar skill to find an appropriate spirit, or Expert Skill (Psionics) and either Autohypnosis or Meditation, to create a thought-form (The Tulpa; Horror p81) for the purpose. If summoning the spirit, use Spirit Communication to call (or go find one, either through Astral Travel or physical travel while using Astral Sight), and social skills to negotiate. The construction skill is Astral Binding. There are no 'production models,' just similar prototypes. In general, charms, being temporary, are much faster to produce than fetishes (divide time by 1d+3), both because negotiations with the spirits (if you aren't simply creating a thought-form) are easier, and because the bindings need not be 'built' to last.

A spirit may be forcibly imprisoned in a charm or fetish, which often leads to great resentment. Roll a Contest of the target's Will against Astral Binding, with the normal Construction penalty.

Statistics: Gadgeteer (Astral Projection, -10%; Based on Will, +20%; Only for Astral Entity containment devices, -60%; Requires Will Roll, -5%; No mass-production, -30%) [5/level]

Thoughts?

EDIT: Before anyone suggests that I should PM PK, I did. That's why I'm sure that I'm explaining myself very badly, but I'm still not clear on how.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 04-13-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote