View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Default Re: LF: Stats of the EM50 from Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Thanks for this! I eyeballed the rear gun as a 40mm grenade launcher
Not implausible. Makes more sense than a full-size tank gun. Though, earlier in the film, we do see them loading shells into the EM-50. They're roughly as long as a forearm, too long for grenades, and the cupped hand, halfway around grip makes the rounds somewhere around 80mm (judging by my own cupped grip).

As long as I'm being silly about it, I screencapped a shot where the EM-50 was backing into position to shoot the tank. I got 728 pixels across the width of the EM-50 (96 inches width in the real world, or about 3.35 mm per px) and 26 px as the interior diameter of the cannon tube -- conveniently enough, about 87mm.

How about a Carl Gustav recoilless rifle? (Or M3 MAAWS, as Sgt. Hulka would insist I call it.) 84mm, and used by US special forces. It has HEAT among its wide variety of ammunition. 400mm RHA penetration, so Wikipedia tells me, certainly capable of breaking tracks (and almost the front armor of a T-64). Vent the backblast out the roof where the rocket launcher lives.

Quote:
Also, IIRC the 7.62x39 Russian rounds have comparable damage to the 5.56mmNATO, not the 7.62mmNATO.
Good catch. I didn't actually go look up the damage :)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 10-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote