View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #29
Daigoro

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Oh well, maybe. Just how balkanized the consortium is . . . isn't at all obvious from the vote. If it's as balkanized as the UN GA, that's one thing. If it's something closer to the Swiss Confederation, or EU or the USA's Articles of the Confederation level of unity, that's another thing.
Note that option A says there is no single owner, which implies that all other setups can be in effect treated as single owners. Maybe I'm misreading.
Personally, I don't see much difference in "amount of conflict generated" between options A- no single owner, and D- many owners in one consortium. Certainly consortia could also be some of the many owners of option A. I think people voted A or D for the same basic reason- to increase conflict.

Quote:
In a thread where the central votes dominate, I think centrists are less likely to have such a feeling, while radicals are more likely to.
A radical might always feel disappointed with the outcome, but nonetheless the existence of a radical will move the centre. But in this case, I don't think the 8-10 posters involved is a large enough population size to generate a smooth spectrum.

Quote:
The latter part should probably not be treated as much as a complaint (sorry if lumping things together made it more complainy). But there may be some less obvious ways in how the first post can influence outcomes. It's probably not something I can coherently recall and formulate at this point. Sorry for the distraction.
Indeed, phrasing is important. If the middle answer is the most popular, then phrasing the question in a different way can bias towards a different middle- e.g. by giving more options. There's a similar effect in menu writing, where putting a single extremely expensive option on the menu normalises the price perception of the other items upwards.

Also, for example, the "Is it high biotech?" question got a range of answers saying "yes" but were apparently contradictory. It'd be unfair to criticise Frost for this in hindsight, but a different phrasing might've got a different result.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote