View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #6
whswhs

Default Re: [Creative] Trying to build a fantasy setting.

In my current fantasy campaign, there are seven humanoid races, one of which is called "men." But they aren't quite the same as Homo sapiens sapiens. Rather, they're Tolkien's "man the mortal, master of horses," foot or horse nomads native to plains environments. They're more sexually dimorphic than we are, and their species average mating pattern is modestly polygynous.

Now, I think that one reason for putting "humans" or "men" into a world is for the convenience of players who want to play a character without thinking a lot about racial peculiarities, just as it's convenient to have a culture that's "people like us" to your players. But I borrowed another trick from Tolkien for this; my "modern people in a fantasy world" race is nixies, river and swamp dwellers who invented agriculture, cities, writing, trade, and beer. They're smaller than we are and less sexually dimorphic, and have some amphibious traits. And in the campaign currently, the player characters are two nixies and one each from three other races, none of them men.

This is one way of addressing this concern, though it might not suit your needs: Split the "familiar race" role into a race that's physically similar to humans (but culturally a bit exotic) and one that's culturally accessible but physically different (like hobbits).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote