View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #13
starslayer

Default Re: Decreased Mana Costs as an advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I'm reluctant to allow it but the -40% seems ok. The FP cost reduction is the primary reason I or anyone I know improves skill and becomes more the only reason after 16 for most spells.
Going to guess you don't play a lot of DF Refplace.

More skill == more spells maintained while still maintaining and effective skill of 16.
More skill == greater ability to deploy area spells in unusual situations (target 'the siege beast' location 'somewhere out there' situational 'on the other side of this wall'; done at -15, got 25 skill; its still worth rolling)
More skill == greater effect (ST 60 DX 30 phantom that needs to take 20 points of damage in a single hit to be killed and no rule of 16 on the disbelief; yes please)

Extra- more magery == greater potential effect (ball spells allow you to charge your magery per second for three seconds, beam spells your magery damage, etc).

Energy/maintenance cost is for the most part 'cheap' compared to the above factors (power items play into that, but powerstones are a thing in a non-DF game and carrying /swapping out a large stack of 6 point powerstones is not unreasonable and will cover most spellcasting situations).

I'm not sure I'm going to be walking away from this telling my players 'sure you can take 'all spells cost less' for 10/level; but at least it seems a pretty reasonable value given the normal application of additional skill,

Last edited by starslayer; 07-10-2018 at 11:01 PM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote