View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/99: Death and Beyond

Life? Death? Heaven? Hell?
Reject the dichotomy
And forge your own path.
— Ezekiel Bonesmith's last words
Death is the great motivator of most roleplaying games. It drives our epic campaign arcs ("You must destroy the bioweapon or humanity will perish!"). It's the benchmark by which most threats are measured ("Beware the orc queen, for she has killed every hero who stood against her!"). And on a more fundamental level, it's the closest thing that RPGs have to a "win/lose" condition; you have the right to play your PC until he or she dies, at which point you have to make another one.

That's why so many games explore the nature of death, to add interesting philosophical (or even tactical) elements to a setting and campaign. What exists after death? How can we avoid it, alter it, better embrace it, or even weaponize it? These are the questions asked and answered by Pyramid #3/99: Death and Beyond . . .
  • Necromancy has long been associated with magic and unholy spiritual power, so why not Necro-Psi? Christopher Rice expands the catalog of GURPS Psionic Powers with Necrokinesis, a new power for manipulating souls (Animakinesis), corpses (Thanatokinesis), and the dark (Umbrakinesis). Use these detailed abilities, including new psi techniques and perks, to add a touch of death to your next psi campaign.

• Everyone has different opinions about what makes GURPS Dungeon Fantasy fun, but "killing monsters" and "powering up my character" are nigh ubiquitous joys. After all, What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger, right? Scott Rochat shows how a few simple calculations (or just looking on the included table) can turn any monster into "Kill Points" which empower your delver with powerful combat capabilities and/or new traits -- the better to defeat even more threats!

• Psychopomps have been a part of our religious culture for millennia, and modern urban fantasy has finally started to embrace these Soul Reapers. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver shows how these "Death's helpers" fit perfectly into your GURPS Monster Hunters or GURPS Horror games, with four 200-point inhuman racial templates, a new ally (Spectral Steed) and a new Reaper power with six potent abilities.

• There are many otherworldly realms devoted to death, and not all of them are afterlives. At least one is a pocket dimension where unlucky participants engage in constant battle, not for honor or glory, but for strange and esoteric wagers. J. Edward Tremlett takes you to The Slaughterealm, a dangerous arena where the PCs are subject to the whims and needs of mysterious Patrons -- but for potentially great reward.

• And even the peaceful dead will stir for a chance to read our Random Thought Table that explores and codifies the "Death Level" of different campaigns -- or of worlds within a campaign.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2699
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2699_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote