View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
aesir23

Default Re: [SE] "Your child is a sociopath? Fear not, we will take care of this!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Whether or not this is true at TL8 is irrelevant. The Justicariate is TL9 in social technologies (and some others), and partially relies on the aid of a rather unique entity for diagnosis. Even if children cannot already have certain conditions developed at certain ages, it is still possible to predict such development with TL9 social advancements.
Sorry, I've been contributing to thread drift. I'll stop now.

Your concept is interesting, I especially like the idea of brainwashing them to follow a code of behavior regardless of any internal moral compass.

To address your original question about how much of a drain on the state this would be: maybe less than you'd think.

The more dangerous/less intelligent sociopaths and future sociopaths already require more state resources. (Institutions, alternative schools, etc...) The intelligent sociopaths tend to avoid detection.

I used to work in an alternative school for "at-risk youth", several of our clients were potential sociopaths, our goal was much as you describe: teach them to behave morally and legally, even if it would never come naturally to them. This is for their own good: we wanted them to have jobs and pleasant lives.

I currently work part-time at a house for people who are on conditional release from institutions after being declared "Not Guilty by reason of mental illness or defect." Some of my clients have been sociopaths.

It is cheaper to hire people like me and pay their rent in a house than it is to keep treating them in institutions or prisons.

If your program results in significantly fewer adult criminals in the prisons, it will have paid for itself.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote