View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
The Benj

Default Re: AoA with a Ready in place of one attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Mlangsdorf added some extra maneuvers to his DF game, which I'm stealing liberally for my DF game.

This includes some new Ready-based maneuvers:

All-Out Ready: The character takes a Ready action as a free action and may still take his full maneuver. However, he loses all defenses until his next turn. This cannot be combined with an All Out Attack, Committed Attack, Defensive Attack, or All Out Defense.

Committed Ready: The character readies an object as a free action and may use it to attack; readying the object requires a DX+2 roll. He may move one step. Failure means that he still readies the object, but his turn ends and he suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. The character may not retreat or use the object to defend, and gets -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Move and Ready: The character takes a Ready action as part of a Move. This requires an unmodified DX roll; failure means he fails to ready the object at all, but still suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. He may not use the object to defend, may not retreat, and suffers -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Extra Effort - Fast Ready: The character spends 1 FP and rolls DX; on a success, he readies an object as a free action. On a failure, he readies the object as if with a standard Ready maneuver. There are no penalties to attack or defense. This is an 'offensive' Extra Effort option.

Note that the big difference here with All Out Ready And Attack and replacing one of the attacks in AoA:Dual is that AORaA only lets you take the Attack maneuvers step for movement, not a full half move as you can get with AOA. You're doing a lot at once, asking to do half move as well is a bit much.
Some interesting ideas, but I don't much like the way they're put together. Changing whole maneuvers into "free" actions bothers me. I'd rather allow Ready as an alternative to an attack so you could AoA (Double) to:
-Ready then Attack
-Attack then Ready; or
-Take two Ready actions

Or you could AoA (Determined) to get +4 to your DX roll for whatever you're doing to Ready. This mostly seems like it would be useful if you're in Close combat and REALLY want to be sure of drawing that weapon, but other uses could come up.

One could even make a case for AoA (Strong) to pick heavy something up fast, but that could still be just taking two Ready actions to halve the time it takes. *shrug*
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote