Old 02-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #36
Stephane_Theriault

Default Re: New Talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck
Priest/ess: Meditation, Psychology, Public Speaking, Religious Ritual, Theology
Bonus: Parishioners, anyone seeking spiritual guidance; 5 pts/level

Occultist: Hidden Lore, History, Literature, Occultism, Research, Ritual Magic
Bonus: Historians, Researchers, anyone with ties to (or experiences with) the supernatural; 5 pts/level

Prostitute: Acting, Detect Lies, Fast Talk, Erotic Art, Merchant, Streetwise
Bonus: Clients & prospective clients; 5 pts/level

World Traveler: Area Knowledge, Carousing, Connoisseur, Current Affairs, Gambling, Geography, Gesture, Heraldry, Savoir Faire
Bonus: Traveling companions, hotel/travel managers; 10 pts/level

Generic PC: Carousing, Climbing, Crossbow, Fast Talk, First Aid, Knife, Merchant, Riding, Survival, Stealth
Bonus: Other PCs, important NPCs; 10 pts/level
I'm with Importance here. Your talents look too much like professions; you just selected all the skills a certain practionner of a profession should have, and put them together in a Talent, even if they have nothing in common. That's not how it works. Think more of a Talent as a precise ability your character has, and then find all the skills this ability shoud help.

For example, for the Impersonator talent I created, I started with the idea that someone could naturally be very good at impersonating others to blend in the crowd (not necessarily particular people, more like generic ones). It certainly means he can pass himself as someone else, either in attitude (acting), appearance (disguise) or voice (Mimicry). He instinctly knows how non-nobles act, enough to never be noticed (Savoir-Faire (servant), Streetwise). Finally, this ability makes him able to detect if the people he tried to fool were, and detect other phonies (Body Language).
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote