View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #53
hal

Default Re: GURPS ULTRATECH ballistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
So I have a slightly more advanced/crazy spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

which is a mix of Doug's spreadsheet, GURPS Vehicles (2nd ed) for 3e, and 3G3, with a dash of whatever data I can get off the web. It will give weapon damage, accuracy, weight, weight per shot, and costs. It's usually accurate to within +/-20%, except for cost, which is generally a best guess. Not all stats will match GURPS stats, either.

One big friction point is Doug's calculator uses chamber pressure, chamber volume, and burn distance to calculate kinetic energy, and for a lot of historic and imaginary guns, its hard/impossible to get those values. I'm using modified 3G3 propellant energy to estimate those values, but the 3G3 formula for estimating barrel length is extremely bogus. Anyway, I'm sticking it out there for people to look at.

In principle, 3G3 can create caseless rounds/weapons, and a caseless round should do the same amount of damage as a cased weapon with the same weight, cross-section, and muzzle velocity.
Thanks Guy. I just wondered whether or not the Caseless rounds would bear any resemblance to the "caseless ammo tend to be 1/2 the weight of conventional cartridges" or not.

I'll never forget the day when I spent time working on the M-4 Cohen Main Battle Tank using GURPS VEHICLES that was designed to use a Rail gun. When I saw the damage it was capable of inflicting, It became VERY difficult to create a frontal armor level that could handle its own gun. But then I integrated it with a squad of battle suits with a central networked computer aboard the tank, and used Gatling 4mm rounds for both offensive weaponry and "anti-missile" point defense for the tank. It was fun, and I miss the days of GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition. :(

Even started up a wargame based on Columbia where the US landed the US Marine Expeditionary Force aboard hovercrafts and landed their heavy main battle tanks for fire support. Game never progressed very far alas. :(

While I don't much like the hit point values with the newer GURPS 4e rules set, I still miss the Vehicle Design rules and wish they'd publish the darn thing, even if it were to be published in parts or installments instead of one whole entire book like GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition was.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote