View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Powers] Can you use an ability on default from it's talent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
Assuming that you have the appropriate talent and the ability is a prebuilt ability of that power, could you attempt to use the ability on default from the talent? Would your talent benefit your skill rolls to do that?
By RAW? It doesn't say you can't use a Power Talent to default an ability part of that Power (and in some cases it makes sense). Since a Power Talent isn't related to defaulted powers you're always going to suffer the -2 penalty for different abilities. Since you're temporarily turning your Talent into something else you're not going to get the benefit from it. You could opt to use a lower level of Talent for improvising, of course. For example, if you have Heat/Fire Talent 4 [20] and want to improvise a 2d burning attack you could opt to use just two levels of your ability, take a -8 to your Will roll (-8 because it's worth 100% of the points of the improvised ability, -2 because it's dissimilar, and +2 from your Power Talent level), and get a +2 bonus on rolls to attack with it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote