View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Malfi

Default Re: Connecting point total to what you can buy with it.

Again I am not saying setting and genre don't matter. That said, I am trying to add point total to what matters, at least in certain genres and settings. Take DF for example. Would it be genre breaking to allow power talents up to 8 instead of 6 and 2 levels of hellfire instead of 1 in 1000 points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Caps are a question of genre and setting, not power level. Power level determines a practical maximum (i.e., what players can afford), which isn't the same thing at all. I could set caps of 20 in a 100-point campaign and that might conceivably have no impact on game play because people would take forever getting there for want of points. I could set caps of 15 in a 300-point campaign, which would be relevant right out of the gate, channeling players toward alternative uses of points.

The same logic applies to other traits, though it's harder to see for, say, advantages.
An alternative instead of total point value, would be prerequisites. Like if you spend 200 points in chi abilities you can ignore certain limits in str,dex,ht, will and per or the campaign maximum for certain chi ability levels increase for you a bit.

"People would take forever getting there for want of points" is for sure true, but as I tried to point out I am refering to campaign where there is faster progression (certain dnd editions and shonen).
Training and simple awarding of advantages as mentioned in the core rulebook are examples for faster progression as is psionic campains where you could be getting extra 10 points per session for psi abilties. In these cases caps based on your points spent would make sense IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Setting and genre matters. For example, characters with ST 20, DX 12, and HT 20 are combat monster before TL6. After TL6 they are a statistical anomaly, but they are quite manageable because automatic weapons will chew them up quite nicely. The same character in a survival horror game probaby dominates the campaign while they are much less useful as a Cold War fighter pilot.
The genre and settings I am talking about is much more closer to typical rpg ones, more in the vein of Dungeon fantasy, certain anime shonen, dnd 3rd edition or perhaps even monster hunter.
My suggestion certainly doesn't apply to Cold war fighter pilot's campaigns.
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote