View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 AM   #1
Malfi

Default Connecting point total to what you can buy with it.

I have heard Gurps has problems at higher points or when higher point advantages are allowed. Though I guess “problems” depends on the setting/campaign world you are in.

Do you think guidelines for attribute/skill/ power talent/advantage levels maximums are allowed and at what point totals, would be useful in a certain type of game?
At least if you want a game that features the acquisition of supernatural power similar to certain shonen or editions of dnd and that ends up going into higher and higher point totals.
Ι saw something like this the high-psi part of pyramid 3/97 where the maximum of the psi power talent was dependent on your points and it seemed to make sense to me. In a sense your point total replaces certain unusual backgrounds like the ones from supers that cap damage and damage resistance. I don't see a reason of why couldn't do this for maximum attributes/skill/ power talent/advantage levels. I also don't see a reason to stop players from exceeding their maximums provided that then they pay an unusual background.
I can imagine nothing changing for a certain games where players stay pretty much the same or the setting is such that doesn't focus on the acquisition of cool powers or would break in very high point totals. (Madness dossier for example).

I have attempted to make a small and simplistic example of this.

Points Max (iq/dex/ht)
200 15
800 20
2000 25
4000 30
6400 35
10000 40

Any thoughts?
Malfi is offline   Reply With Quote