View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
xerxes

Default Re: [Alt. History] captive Napolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Why on Earth would they do such a thing? Also how? Napoleon surrendered on terms, which terms included an honour guard who went to Elba with him. The reason he was sent to Elba is that, unlike Louisiana, Elba wasn't full of French people who would be likely to form a loyal army for Napoleon's triumphant return.
Lots of alt. history ideas are founded on something far-fetched just because it would a fun setting for stories or games. GURPS Alternate Earths and GURPS Alternate Earths 2 have timelines that are kind questionable as to feasibility.

But, perhaps my set up is not so outlandish, after all. Anaraxes points out that France and the USA aren't allies. Let's suppose the Brits really want to "stick it" to the USA. Maybe a good way to do that would be to dump Bonaparte in Louisiana hoping that he will try to form a kingdom for himself and thus "spoil" the Americans' recent purchase. The folks there who had until recently been part of France might have more affinity for him that those English-speaking swine from the East coast.

So, suspend your disbelief for a moment. I'll repeat my questions. How would the local American officials react to the situation upon first learning of the arrival? How would the U.S. Prez react to news of arrival?
xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote