View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Alternate Wealth rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
This is the key part. You can’t have a buy-bot, because it’ll only work for their stuff. It doesn’t matter who buys stuff for the dead broke barbarian, the barbarian’s own wealth determines the price of the item.
How does this work? If the bard gives something to the barbarian then they also mysteriously lose money?

Quote:
A side advantage I haven’t mentioned is that barring absentee players, there is very little reason under the current rules not to have a single wealthier character, with every super poor. This version makes everyone’s Wealth matter for themselves, and nobody “paying points for the whole party”, which was really my initial motivation for coming up with it.
Yeah, if you allow the PCs to trade before the game starts, one player is willing to not only handle financial transactions during play but also to outfit the entire party (and therefore not going to get much personal use of high starting wealth) and you are willing to either allow a premise that makes this possible or just ignore plausibility entirely. I don't really see that actually happening much in real games. I floated this "exploit" to my group because I was curious what they thought and it was uninamously declared to be a bad idea, YMMV, of course.

Personally I just don't allow PCs to take actions (that aren't backstory) before the game starts, because this causes me to have an existential headache.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-23-2017 at 12:00 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote