View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #68
malloyd

Default Re: Curious Local Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The bloodletting addition is from an idea I had for a wedding ring (draw blood from both parties, extract the carbon, and press it into a diamond for the ring - probably with some extra carbon added to get one of a decent size).
I don't think you do. Blood is about 85% water, but the other 15% should have roughly the same composition as the rest of your body, and organic material is normally around 40% carbon by weight, so you'd need something like 4 milliliters of blood per caret, and a 1 caret stone is a pretty reasonable size for a ring centerpiece. Certainly a typical blood donation volume (470 mL) will contain enough carbon to produce a diamond bigger than anything you could reasonably fit on a ring. It wouldn't be the world's largest diamond, but it would easily be in the top hundred.

I rather like this idea really - something to keep gems worth much of anything in settings where synthetic ones are increasingly easy (and perfect), or mined from other worlds with exotic conditions in ton quantities, has obvious adventure motivation uses, and known to have been made from the blood of somebody famous seems like the kind of thing that could hold value. Though how to preserve the chain of authenticity that actually holds that value through the looting process is a tricky question.

Last edited by malloyd; 09-12-2019 at 08:27 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote