View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #62
Tomsdad

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

One other thing I'd left off the kicking/stamping to legs, is you get +1 to to hit of the legs of someone while standing, which softens the penalties a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That means that you should never parry with your legs unless it's against low kicks AND you can't retreat. That seems unlikely enough for virtually no one to ever need to learn such a thing.
It certainly restricts your options against low line kicks, but low line kicks to keep people at bay are thing after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
The real beauty of this approach is that you can slip to the the non-weapon side (the knife-wielder's left side assuming he's holding the knife in his right). That way, even if he defends against the arm lock (or whatever you're trying to do to him), he can't damage you with the knife as part of that parry.
I been think (and reading GURPS: Campaigns and MA) I'm not sure about this.

leaving aside the issue of arm locking the non attacking arm with a defensive arm lock, (which I agree seems a bit counter to the image I have in my head). You have to get into CC to actually arm lock. And in Basic are there facing rules in CC?

The bit about side and back facing in Campaigns seems to define in terms of defending and attacking 'side' and 'back' as the hexes in that direction.

Now Technical Grappling has lots on relative facing in CC and changing it, and the advantages and disadvantages of it, and I'd be happy to infer the basic rules regarding side and back facing into basic CC, and add in facing changes once there as part of freeing yourself, but have I missed something? (I've been using TG so long now I tend to have to un-learn it)

Either way barring committed attacks, I think you might have trouble getting to side hex on you retreat slip to then move into CC from your turn. If for no other reason your target going to have their own changes to change facing.

That said I think the idea do committed attack arm lock to get into side attack position is quite fitting!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote