Thread: Reepicheep
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
munin

Default Re: Reepicheep

Just "reality"-checking whether your build is capable of doing what Reepicheep is described as being able to do (and I conclude it is, but either not perfectly reliably or not with endurance):

To make a typical human soldier fall down, Reepicheep needs to inflict 4 HP injury in a single attack to the foot (a tip slash to the achilles tendon doesn't help because the damage reduction of the tip slash outweighs the reduced HP for crippling -- cutting weapons are better than impaling weapons for this, like the ankle-slicers from the first movie).

An SM-4 Very Fine "faerie" rapier does thr-1 imp, +2 per die for Weapon Master and Rapier at DX+2, +2 for an All-Out Attack (Strong), -2 for typical boot DR.

At ST 6 (or ST 5 for that matter), that's 1d-3 penetrating damage, which gives a 2-in-6 chance of crippling the foot (including ×2 for impaling). With a power blow'd ST 12, that's 1d penetrating damage, which gives a 5-in-6 chance of crippling the foot but costs 1 FP per attempt.

A few power blows might be okay in a short skirmish, but in a pitched battle where endurance is a factor and attacks might come from any direction, Reepicheep can switch to using a Committed Attack (Strong) instead of an All-Out Attack (Strong) and stop using power blows -- his chances of crippling a foot drop to 1-in-6, but he keeps most of his defenses and doesn't spend FP on power blows, allowing him to fight for much longer. With Extra Attack 1, his odds of crippling a foot are about 30% per turn (ignoring misses and foe's active defenses).

Once down, Reepicheep can target the brachial or femoral arteries at -5 (likely protected by armor), or the jugular vein or carotid artery at -8 to quickly dispatch a foe (New Hit Locations, p. MA137).

---

I think if I was designing a Narnian Mouse template, I'd give them ST -7, typical for an SM-4 scale creature -- then give Reepicheep some Striking ST from the Swashbuckler template to get him up to Striking ST 5 or 6. Narnian animals are bigger than regular animals, but I don't think they're inherently strong for their size, like DF faerie folk are.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote