Thread: Reepicheep
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Anders

Default Re: Reepicheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The arithmetic is perfectly right, but the assumptions perplex me.

ST -4 implies racial average ST 6, which implies typical body weight around 27 pounds. That's bigger than a large cat, as big as a small (but not toy) dog. That's way bigger than I envision Narnian talking mice! I'd go for ST 4 (8 pounds) or maybe even 5 (15.625 pounds), but not 6.

ST 12 is 6 points higher than the species norm you defined. Per p. B14, that "draws constant comment" and would be R's most outstandingly visible stat, even more than his awesome DX of 5 points above species norm. I'm not seeing it. R is fit and well built, yes, but he's not a Herakles of mice; he's a fencer, not a tank.

ST 12 is also stronger than an average adult man; it would give R a BL of 29 pounds, which is more than the average body weight for his species. He could pick up and carry all day someone weighing 87 pounds, which is probably as heavy as Lucy, or maybe even Edmund or Eustace. He could raise 232 pounds overhead in four seconds.

I think that's all a bit over the top.

RECOMMENDATION: Racial ST -5 [-50]. An average talking mouse weighs 16 pounds.

R is ST 6 [40], comparable to a ST 11 man (additively) or a ST 12 one (proportionally). His BL is 7 pounds. Using two hands and taking four seconds, he could raise 56 pounds overhead, probably a bit less than Eustace's weight. He could do better than that with Extra Effort, of course, and I'd agree with his having a very high Will.

Bill Stoddard
I'm assuming a DF-esque reality. In DF 3, Leprechauns (SM -4) have ST 6. But Narnia may be more realistic than that. The problem with that is that it makes Reepicheep pretty laughable. He'll do no damage whatsoever.