View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #451
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The real Everett wore cowboy boots whenever he was off duty, including when he rode his bike. He also wore them for social occasions, dancing, dining and running errands. I'm guessing that the real Everett had a number of pairs of cowboy boots and at least one of them was fairly comfortable to wear.
Then (unless he was a complete idiot) Everett probably had at least one pair of riding cowboy boots, so they'd have a nice grippy sole and decent foot protection.

So if Everatt's style is being mimicked then they'd have picked up Taylor a pair.

I recommend these, they're pretty swank and look pretty durable.

Alternately these are damned swank (maybe too swank) but they don't look as durable to my untrained eye (I have no idea if snake skin is more or less durable than cowhide).

Quote:
Is anyone aware of a make of leather boots that has the classic Western / cowboy look, ideally with a fancy patterning that at least looks like ostrich, alligator or something exotic, but are comfortable, sturdy enough to ride a bike in, but not hopeless as general purpose footwear either?
I have no idea about that. I'd just do a google search and see what pops up.

Quote:
Basically, what do you wear when you want to look fancy, but do not want to suffer any penalties to action-adventure stuff for your footwear?
Usually you suck it up and either get expensive custom made or make do with a lacking in one area or the other.

Though I will note, High-Tech does not put any penalties on combat boots. So it's likely that there really shouldn't be any.

I only mention possible penalties as I've climbed (and snuck) in combat boots, and there is a distinct difference between climbing in combat boots and climbing in sneakers... and a difference I feel is greater than 1.

Quote:
Are moccasins something that seem likely as a choice of footwear for Taylor, raised in Luverne, Alabama, and then a career in the US Army, living variously at Ft. Bragg, NC, off-base on Georgia for a while and in Afghanistan or a variety of Latin American locations?
Unlikely. Someone would have had to introduce the idea to him.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote