View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 AM   #32
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: TFT and GURPS - where is the line between them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
I'm trying to understand the problem here, but failing so far... probably because I'm not fully recalling how things work in TFT.
TFT has no REGULAR DAMAGE BONUS for Cutting/Impaling weapons as MtM does; except in the special case of the Double-damage Charge-Attack for Pole Weapons.

So what does this mean in terms to no-armor TFT vs must-amour in MtM?

On average a 1d6 weapon will deliver approximately 3.5 hits of damage. At ST 14, an unarmed TFT'er can take 4 good average whacks before he is dead; and can take 3 average attacks and still stays above the dreaded -3DX near-death penalty.

However, if we add-in MtM's "Cutting Bonus" to the very same blows, those 3.5 hits, become increased by 50% to 5.25 hits per attack. Now, my same TFT figure can only sustain 2 average Mtm attacks, and the TFT figure is only 3 ST from Death - which brings with it special -DX doom-n-gloom in TFT.

Not good; but wait! It gets even worse,..

If we add-in MtM's "Impaling Bonus" to the very same blows, those 3.5 hits become increased by 100% to 7 hits per attack. Now my same TFT figure can only sustain 2 attacks and he is DEAD MEAT.

Sustaining 4 attacks on average in TFT, falling to 2 attacks in MtM. Cutting or Impaling, either way you cut it (sorry, for the pun) MtM is murder on TFT figures.

So as you can see, MtM just doesn't work for my TFT Fantasy Characters in my vision of Cidri; because MtM is too real and deadly for them without the armor.

"Yes, you need armor" - SJ; MtM sidebar, P. 15

"No, I need TFT" - JK; Summer 1986

Armed with the math above, if you go back and re-read my post #22, it should be "A clear as an unmuddied lake, sir. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me." - Alexander DeLarge #655321, 'A Clockwork Orange' 1971

Last edited by Jim Kane; 03-07-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote