View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Sorenant

Default Re: [Pyramid 3/52] LT Armor Design: Mail vs Pi (Guns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
For a given weight of metal, you're right. Using those rules (Pyramid 3/52), the weight factor of plate (0.8) vs mail (0.9) means that plate armor of the same mass provides 12.5% greater DR than mail.
Mail CW in the article seems rather low, a DR 3/1* mail in LT weights half as much a plate of equivalent DR. Playing with the values a little, I found that the following values gives results slightly closer to LT: Plate CW 0.65 and CC 5; Mail CW 0.975 and CC 1.6; Scale CW 1.3 and CC 0.8.
This gives: DR 3 plate costs $1023.75 and weights 8.19 lbs, DR 3/1* mail costs $491.4 and weights 12.285 lbs, DR 3/2* scale costs $327.6 and weights 16.38. Scaling in LT is not linear, so higher DR version using this will result in generally light and cheaper gear.
It's not related to the question at hand but I wanted to share the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically, people make bulletproof steel plates and as far as I can tell no-one even tries to make bulletproof mail, and there's probably a reason for that, though I'm not immediately sure what it is.
As far as I know, bulletproof plates involves plackarts which acts like spaced armor and the curvature aided in deflecting the bullet. I don't think a mail would have those benefits, but I'm not professional to say anything with confidence.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote