View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid #3/102: Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
GURPS Power-Ups 1: Imbuements gave your adventurers the ability to temporarily power up their weapons, but wouldn't it be nice if your artificers had access to Crafting Imbuements that let them do that, and more, only permanently? Christopher Rice introduces a new class of Imbuement Skills to expand what artisans and makers can do with their bespoke equipment.
Heh. I'm just glad it's done. This one has been a long time in the oven.

Quote:
And enjoy the epic tale of this month's Random Thought Table as it considers the importance of perspective when ramping a story up to monumental levels.
This is going to sound like a dig at Steven so I just want to preface that it is not. Sometimes, Steven just nails the subject so hard he goes right through the interior wall, through the stud, and right on to the exterior wall to outside. This was amazingly useful. An excellent read and incredibly insightful.

This is the only one I've had a chance to read so far (other things on my plate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
GAMERS! TONIGHT! WE DINE! IN AUSTIN!!!

It's a good'un. I was especially interested in Christopher's Craft Imbuement rules.
Thanks! I hope its useful to folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Lot of goodness here.
I like the Crafting Imbuements the most , though wish there had been a size changing one included.
Thanks! Check out the designer's notes (at the bottom of this post) it's got something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I particularly liked Crafting Imbuements - I had actually had some ideas along these lines before, but Christopher has implemented practically everything I was thinking about, at least as good I could have.
Thanks! That's high-praise coming from the guy who started the whole "What else can imbuements do?" theme.

Quote:
I did have just a couple of questions about the system, though. First, the article is actually unclear about which skills the imbuement skills' specializations are based on. I assume from context that it's crafting skills (since things like (Melee Weapons) and (Missile Weapons) are Armoury specializations), but it's not spelled out anywhere I could see, and I think that could be clarified.
Quote:
That's discussed in "Crafting Imbuement Specialties" on p. 7. I'd suggest rereading that section carefully, after which if anything is still unclear about it, please ask!
Yup. Basically, all the specialties for the listed skills are imbuement specialties.

Quote:
Second, how would you add a destiny or purpose to an object? Say you wanted to make a sword that had the mystical purpose of "Slay the Ogre of Red Wood". Would that just be the Infuse Gear skill, with advantages like Higher Purpose or Destiny? Or is Infuse Gear supposed to be about adding advantages to the item's "character sheet", and adding traits to the user of the item would be better handled with another skill?
Quote:
don't think that the user/wielder is involved at all here; it's the item's Destiny, not theirs. So I'd just add this via Infuse Gear.
Yup. Infuse Gear is the go-to. I'd allow up to 4 levels and use the rules for narrow and broad scope from Pyramid #3/66 Laws of Magic (p. 16) depending on its destiny.

I also have some Designer's Notes up on my blog.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote