View Single Post
Old 07-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #132
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
When you are the GM how do you manage having a character who is much more intelligent than the corresponding player?
I encounter this quite a bit. I have players who are neurodivergent (autism spectrum, ADHD, etc.) and for them, role playing is often a big draw because it lets them play as a person who may not have these issues and might be more socially fluent or adept.

If it's a social issue (e.g. player is nonfluent, but wants their character to be fluent) then I'll usually give a "time out freeze time" benefit to the player so they can articulate what they want to say. Then I open it up for the rest of the group to distill it down to something slick. And then resume the "real time" social interaction with this new scripted slick narrative.

If it's a knowledge or insight issue (e.g. the character would know something that the player probably doesn't), I can approach it either by opening up to group input, or by passing a note/sending a DM to the player privately. This isn't just limited to neurodivergent individuals either - just imagine a layman player roleplaying as an advanced physicist expert, for example.

As a very minor bit of tableside stagecraft, I've found there's a lot of mileage to be had in giving an individual player a private message, and letting them be the one to "break the news" to the table. Even if the player knows the GM handed them this goodie, if they're the ones who get the credit at the tableside then they come away with the recognition of contribution.

If the GM's openly telling the player their special insights for all the rest of the players to see, then it can quickly create a perception that the player is just there as a GM mouthpiece.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote