View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #38
Varyon

Default Re: Explosive Arrows and Ancient Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you look at all the other grenades in HT espcially comparing dedicated fragmentation devices and concussion only you do not see evidence that the frags are giving up any concussion.
I'll have to look up the relevant information again when I get home; it's been a few years since I came up with the equivalence, but ISTR looking up several explosives and finding a general agreement with the way the Diehl (I believe that is indeed the grenade I based things off of) functioned.

Quote:
This was also explicitly the case in Ve2's warhead design rules and UT 4e's modular warhead system. HE (w/frag) and HEC (without) do the same amount of concussion.
I can't speak to 3e, but I know in 4e HE generally has a smaller explosion than HEC of the same size (including in UT; I'm not sure what you're referring to as the "modular warhead system," but I remember the HE vs HEC options for typical warheads have HEC dealing more cr ex damage) - but this may simply be due to the former generally containing less explosive payload than the latter. But needing to "pay for" the fragmentation damage with explosive damage is just physics - the energy to produce and propel the fragments has to come from somewhere. It's certainly possible this is handwaved away in most stats, with the Diehl being an exception (perhaps because the authors decided it was below GURPS resolution)

Quote:
I think the Diehl is an outlier and not a prime model.
If you've got a working model, feel free to share.