View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #34
Rupert

Default Re: Explosive Arrows and Ancient Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If you're working with existing munitions, perhaps. When you're modifying things that historically only used something like TL3 serpentine to instead use TL5 improved black powder (or TL6+ high explosives), creating stats for munitions that never existed (because your campaign takes place in an alternate/secret history or doesn't even take place on Earth at all), and so forth, it's better to have something than nothing. If you have a better rule to work out how much explosive damage is used up to produce a certain amount of fragmentation, I'm all ears (or eyes, I suppose, this being a text-based forum). Until then, I'll stick with "1 point of explosive damage sacrificed for every 2 points of fragmentation damage, fragmentation damage dice cannot exceed remaining explosive damage dice."
If you want something that makes sense you'll need a lot more than some rule for how much blast damage a warhead loses to create fragmentation.

For starters, in GURPS the odds of getting hit do not change with warhead size or warhead design (so a crappy cast-steel WWI hand grenade has the same number of fragments as a modern one with a pre-scored wire fragmentation jacket). Aside from any issue with reality this means that the effective casualty zone is the same for almost all warheads because it's the area in which 50% of the occupants are expected to be casualties (assuming even distribution, etc.) or the range at which there's a 50% chance of getting hit, depending on who's definition you use (again with a bunch of assumptions, like the targets being standing in the open, etc.), because warhead size and design does not affect hit chance.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote