View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: WWII Gaming Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderjoe View Post
The initial thought was that by spreading out social skills forces more players to be involved when they needed to. Would it probably be a better idea to make sure everyone has at least one point in diplomacy or something?

The thought process for the low skills is that these are young men who have been drafted and as such I thought high skill levels wouldn't make sense. Should I give them a bump to make the characters more distinct?
Spreading the social skills is not a mistake at all. Choosing the fast talker to present the case rather than the diplomatic or the protocol guy is a very interesting choice to make. Making them low is a little more of a problem. Draftees will have less experience than full fledged adults in most skills, but social skills are likely to be an exception. I'd also be a little worried using skills at level 11 if a failure on that roll means something as bad as getting everyone's cover blown. I'd rather have tension come not from the streetwise guy failing a roll, but how the street savy guy is going to get his non-fast lipped colleagues through.

Quote:
Is administration not the skill for someone who would be checking paperwork at a military base? I was just going to give him like a +3 on individual soldier's paperwork as that would be the stuff he was checking most often.
I actually would roll against military law there. Its on his sheet. And yeah, a hefty bonus is appropriate.

Quote:
So I was trying to keep the characters with a certain level of vagueness so that the players could grab the American ethnicity they were comfortable with and attach it to the player. Is that a bad idea? What if I made a gave the players like 10 points to spend on a list of culture skills? E.g. languages, area knowledge, etc? If I did do this, what would be a good skill to represent things like "I watch a lot of baseball" and others like it.
The list of culture skills may be heavy, but If you want to let them choose what they are, make them choose. write up a list of suggestions even.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote