View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #1
Thunderjoe

Default WWII Gaming Advice

I'm planning on GMing my first GURPS game soon. It will be on roll20 and set in WWII. I'm looking to pitch it here first in order to garner advice from people more experienced than I am.

The full write up for the players(1.5ish pages of story/instructions and six 2 page character sheets) can be found here.

tl dr: The PCs, a group of prgenerated survivors from different units, will find themselves behind the German advance during Operation Grief and will be attempting to return to the American side of the front, hopefully beating the Germans there so that they can warn HQ. Since the Germans will be wearing American uniforms and speaking passable English the players will have to be very careful with seemingly friendly patrols and have to prove their Nationality to others.

The books being used are:
GURPS Basic Set
GURPS High Tech(for arms, armor, and equipment stats)
GURPS Low Tech(for the stats of a long knife, so that I wouldn't be adding the shortsword skill to everyone's sheets so that they can use their bayonets)

The game is set up as a handful of premade encounters, which I am still in the process of writing up, that the players can encounter in theoretically any order, with each encounter being mostly self contained and having little impact on the others. The game will be realistic but hopefully not rules heavy and should last between one to three sessions. Any ideas/suggestions for encounters?

Any suggestions on how to make the game feel realistic while rules-light?

I plan on creating a macro that automates the normal 3d rolls and one that automates firing a gun(accounting for RoF, Hits, and rolling hit location at once). Any other tips on making combat go easy?

Any suggestions on things that I could change or add to make the game easier for a new GM or Player to run/play or anything important that I may be missing?

Since a decent amount of the time the players will be traveling through the woods surviving and/or ambushing others, any suggestions on how to encourage roleplay from and between the players?

Thank you.
Thunderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote