View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
Icelander

Default Re: [RPM] Gem Lore, Lapidaries and Precious Stones as Traditional Trappings

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I don't know about "well written" but the standards for this seem to be George Frederick Kunz _The Curious Lore of Precious Stones_ (a 19th century work that Dover keeps in print) and Scott Cunningham _Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic_ (a more modern work aimed at the Wiccan community).

But keep in mind that premodern gems are basically classified only by color and transparency, so the meanings assigned will typically be the same as the meanings assigned to the color in the same tradition, and the overlap with modern conceptions of what gems are which may not be very good.
Right, Cunningham was available in Kindle form and I'm in the process of learning modern stone magic.

I suppose I'll have diamonds be magical enhancers in general. Diamonds are different from other precious stones in being a highly unusual form of a pure element, which is also the element that makes up all life. Diamonds can be associated with projective energies or receiptive ones, depending on what we choose to emphasise. They're forged in fire and look and feel like ice.

Diamonds are colourless. Diamonds are all colours. Diamonds are life, the building blocs of it encased in crystalline matrix. Diamonds are death, composed of dead bodies buried for untold aeons and burned until none of the processes of life are possible any more.

Diamonds store, focus and enhance magical energies. They are batteries for mystical workings and whether good or evil depends on the flavour of the energies collected.

Sound about right?