View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
tshiggins

Default Re: Monster Hunter game well recieved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post

(SNIP)

Now I come to a new one. How to make all the players involved in the adventure. Out of the eight players five have little to no combat skills. Out of those five, three of them have occult abilities. The last two are the Paramedic (who is turning into a mad scientist) and the hacker. Now without these two characters things would have gone south quickly during the first scenario. The problem was they didn't do a lot in between their specialities.

(SNIP)

Any suggestions?
I approach this by making sure the different characters have things to do, at some point, during the adventure, but don't worry too much that everybody has things to do in every scene.

It's the notion of "spotlight time." Not everyone can (or should) be in the spotlight at every moment, but everyone should appear in it, reasonably frequently.

So, given that not everybody in the party is combat-effective, make sure they play key roles in the events leading up to the combat. Give them a way to gather intel through either research or making useful contacts, and let them use what they discover to come up with a Cunning Plan.

Of course, the best climactic scenes do give everyone something to do. Maybe the head-crackers need to hold off the Enemy Hordes long enough for the engineer to discover all the Deadly Traps, so the occult expert can get close enough to perform the Sekrit Ritual discovered earlier, so as paralyze the Guardian of the MacGuffin.

However, those don't always work out, so make sure the characters have ways to shine, earlier in the plot.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote