View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
Pursuivant

Default Re: Are hovercraft controlled with Driving or Piloting? Plus other vehicle skill stuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
I always tell my players that with piloting you can control the height of your vehicle yourself while with driving you are ground bound. A hovercraft is also ground bound. Just have to figure out what type of controls a particular hovercraft uses to get the defaults right.
Additionally:

Driving = Only gives you Yaw and Thrust authority (i.e., the ability to turn left or right and to accelerate/decelerate).

Piloting = Gives you more or less full Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Thrust authority (i.e., the ability to pitch the vehicle's nose up and down, pivot around its longitudinal axis, turn/skid left or right, as well as acceleration/deceleration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
As for halftracks, some used tank controls (US halftracks early WWII). Later they adapted this when they captured a German halftrack, which used a steering wheel).
The most common US halftrack, the White M3 Scout Car, used a steering wheel and it was introduced in 1941. But, you're right that halftracks could go either way for controls, although a steering wheel arrangement seems to have been much more common.

Of course, prior to late TL6, there wasn't as much standardization for ground vehicle controls, so driving a particular model of car, halftrack, or tank might require a fairly long period of familiarization.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote