View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #36
Ultraviolet

Default Re: Why does Bastard Sword have a U in parry in 1 hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
OK but was 0U a new thing in 4e? If so and given how often it comes up I'm surprised it's never been playtested either initially or as part of later stuff I.e. the options that effect it in MA ?

In concept I do find it somewhat odd as a hard and fast binary position that initially couldn't be adjusted (and can only be avoided by defensive attack and dwarvern). Given most things in GURPS work on a sliding scale maybe a range of parry penalties would be better
I was thinking along the same lines.

I have been playing GURPS for...a long time. But in the last 20 years it's only been Modern Shooting and CLiffhangers, so we don't run into heavy melee weapons very often, so the issue hasn' come up.

But if the "U" rule could be changes to become a modifier to Parries made in the same round as an Atack has been made, it would be a sliding scale rather than a binary thing.
It could also mean thet ST higher than Min could be used to reduce these penalties, although not in a 1:1 ratio and perhaps never fully reduces. To keep in line with Dagger and Double-Dagger rules, perhaps is ST is 5 over MIn then reduce Parry penalty by 1, and 10 more by 2?