View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #18
Bruno

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsingularity View Post
A quick question why is Photography IQ/A when all other Artist skills are IQ/H?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
My best guess is that because a lot of the work is done for you by nature.

In comparison to drawing, for example, you don't have the chance to mess up on each line, and on each piece of shading. You do have to find or pose your pictures, and can't create images from nothing, but the technical task of making an image is far easier.
My instinctive reaction to this (as the third generation child of photographers, and partner of a photographer who is also a child of photographers) is irritable hand waving and ranting about elitist visual arts students who claim photography isn't a "real" art, it's "just" a craft.

The technical task of making an image that looks like a photograph is easier (surprise surprise), the camera is a better tool for that than a paintbrush. In my experience, however, many "images that look like photographs" look like the photographs you see on random facebook profiles: flash is on, focusing on the wrong object or completely out of focus, photographer's fingers in shot accidentally, not cropped, subject is badly framed, and/or a zillion filters, stickers, and lens-flares.

Those are the crooked stick figures of photography, and just because they're easy to produce doesn't make actual uses of the art skill any easier or harder :P

Painters don't accidentally get their subject out of focus. Painters don't worry about getting their fingers, elbows, or foot in the shot. Painters don't have to look out for photobombing family members or house pets. Painters very rarely have to worry about cutting the families heads off by accident (although at default use everybody sucks at composition).

Of course, these days painters can be just as guilty of a zillion filters, stickers, and lens-flares.

rant rant rant rant rant.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote