View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #82
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Stop Spending Earned Character Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Buying Success? If my character has successfully attempted to influence the result of your roll, why not allow me to buy success for you?
Definitely agree with all of this. I cut this part out intentionally, I've had players use wildcard impulse points among each other to play around with the 'limits' on what you can spend points on; One character might have Encyclopedist! and another Knight!, the former could help the latter remember something and the latter could help the former succeed a parry and the GM might not even require them to be in the same room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Likewise. A single very high skill somehow feels more likely to degrade than a group of related skills. A way of dealing with that is to buy a Talent and trade in points in one of its skills for Talent levels.

For example, you have 16 points in Stealth, and one or two points in each of the other skills in the Stalker talent. Trade in a level of Stealth, and an extra point, to buy a level of Stalker. The Stealth level is unchanged, but the related skills go up one.

Of course, this relies on being able to buy Talents after starting play, but they're potentially justifiable as the result of broad experience. This also lets the GM impose an attribute cap without the players feeling blocked.
I actually really like this idea. I also generally prefer characters not to get too high with attribute+talent (over 20) and not too high with skills (over 25 or over +10) and letting them shuffle around points as they start to hit +10 to grab talents or attributes gives them more room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
No conversion was given for what a campaign is.
Oh, sorry, I accidentally conflate 'campaign' and 'session'. I meant session. But yeah, it was effectively 'game time'. Instead of coming up with an exact equation, it was 'you are dead until it doesn't matter'.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote