View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Complementary Rolls in Combat as Resource Mangagement

So a few weeks ago Mailanka (the Psi-wars guy) wrote a post and an experimental alternate rule for complementary rolls in combat. Instead of adding an extra roll to every attack, he suggested the following scheme:
Quote:
  • If you have Mathematics 10, you can claim a free +1 once per session on your roll, but once per session, the GM can force a -1 to your skill.
  • If you have Mathematics 11, you get 2 free +1s, and the GM still gets one free -1
  • At Mathematics 12, you get 3 free +1s, and the GM still gets one free -1
  • At Mathematics 14+, you always get a +1 to your Beam Weapon skill, except once the GM can eliminate the +1 and replace it with a -1.
  • At Mathmatics 16+, you always get the +1 to your Beam Weapon skill, and the GM can no longer give you a -1.
The system has kept coming back to me. Its fairly close to what the statistics say should happen anyways, and resource management can be fun. There are a few skills that get rolled in a similar fashion:
  • Blind Fighting. In this case its the ability to negate a huge penalty or not. This rule could really reduce the number of rolls.
  • Acrobatic Dodge. this is serious business, because its a defense, where bonuses are more significant, and the bonus granted from success or failure is +2, so acrobatic dodge can be a lot more swingy than attacks.
Would you use this rule? What other skills are candidates for it to be applied? Is this a fantastic idea or is it just meh?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote