View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #47
Icelander

Default Re: Detecting Treshold Level, Bad Places and Analyzing Aspected Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
No, Magery 0 doesn't let you detect magic in the area nor does Thaumatology. And neither of those will let you figure what power the Threshold is or Bad Places. Magery 0 removes the -5 penalty to work magic that non-mages suffer. That said, you do know if you are in a place of power or a desecrated place as soon as you start to gather the energy for a spell.

That said, you could charge a +20% enhancement to be able to sense such things - just as Standard Magery 0 does. If you want the ability to detect thresholds and Bad Places as well that's a 10-point Detect. So to do all that you'd need 10 + (5/5) = 11 points. Honestly, I'd round that off to 10 points and call it Magery 0 for your campaign. Seems workable enough to me.
I don't want the ability to Detect places of higher Mana, Thresholds or Bad Places at a distance. I just want the ability for mages to perceive it when one of these things is affecting them, without casting a spell.

In other words, if they automatically know the modifiers to their energy gathering rolls for local Mana, Place of Power, desecration, etc. as soon as they actually make a roll to gather energy, wouldn't it be just a Perk, at most, to be able to notice that stuff with a Thaumatology skill roll without actually gathering a point of energy?

It almost seems like Thaumatology, to do anything (other than be a cap for Paths), must be able to analyze ley lines, mana flows and the like, which sort of demands that you should be able to use it to interpret the feelings you get when the area you are in imposes modifiers on your magic use.

Detect, by definition, finds something you could not have been aware of through your other senses. In this case, I'm not trying to find an area of higher Mana or a powerful Threshold, I'm looking for a way for PC magicians who are already affected by the Mana Level and the Threshold to be able to determine how much impact the area is having on their powers.

Would it be balanced for this to be a Thaumatology skill roll, with how much information is revealed depending on margin of success, or should this always be a Lesser Sense Magic ritual?