View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #4979
ProfessorDetective

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeGamer View Post
Well, an adventure or two might work.
Rival game "designers," AKA Game Parasites, are after the secrets to a particular game, and neither can uncompile it, so they're both contemplating a break in. unfortunately, so is the FBI; the "game company" is a front for the KGB/Mossad/Whoever, because a game developer is expected to ask questions and know electronics.

Worst case: One or both teams get scooped by the FBI and spirited away to whereever...and they have analogs in this timeline. Worse, the analogues are in jail--and still there. The Feds have DUPLICATES! Then they find the hideout...
I write up a world where the weirdest thing to happen is the release of the Ultra Nintendo and you go and have them possibly figure out The Secret? Impressive.

Also, as far as I've read, none of the divergences redraw the maps. It's mostly video games getting their mainstream renaissance a decade early and the (sometimes massive, but not THAT massive) ripple effects. Like: MTV does a gaming review show from 1995 to 2000, Avril Lavigne takes up skateboarding during about of laringitis and becomes a pro on the level of Tony Hawk, Al Gore testifies in favor of video games during the Doom/Mortal Kombat hearings because he played the original, unbutchard-for-cart-space, SNES-CD version of 'Secret of Mana'. Tupac, B.I.G., and Cobain survive their brushes with death, Eminem dies before he gets famous in a argument over a Nintendo, Columbine fizzles out with only two deaths, The 1996 Atlanta Olympics Bombing is far worse, OJ Simpson momicide/suicide instead of double homicide, Fundamentalist Christianity takes a hit after the Atlanta Bomber goes on to nearly attack the US launch party for SMT: Devil Summoner and a major figurehead straight up endources the bomber, etc. And that's all before 2000.

This story is AWESOME.
ProfessorDetective is offline   Reply With Quote