View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #39
Icelander

Default Re: International Relations and Implications of US Supersoldier Experiments in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I was going to suggest Honduras when I read the above, then I read more about the country and decided against it.

If I understand the situation correctly, the country or countries you're looking for should have a reasonable technological base, not be way up **** creek economy wise. Preferably be in South or Central America. And their response when the US says 'Jump!' shouldn't be 'How high?'

That about sum it up?
That's a very good summary.

As a player, I won't know what the GM eventually decides, so I have to research a wide field of possibilities. I'd therefore like to encourage a wide field of speculation.

My character will want to believe that Col. Ortiz is still fundamentally decent and that his plan is a real-world equivalent of Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Younsters. So it would be good to get a few ideas for places he could seek asylum and perhaps secure terms for his men and any other altered individuals who manage to flee there that would allow them some measure of freedom, dignity and self-determination.

On the other hand, there is always the possibility that Col. Ortiz has been warped in some way by side-effects of Project Jade Serenity and is no longer remotely like the man my character knew. Or perhaps is simply deluded. But in any case, I'd like ideas for countries where they'd consider taking him in, promise him and his men all kinds of things, but where our characters could see that the eventual end results would be terrible in some way.

Obviously, anything in between would also be good. My personal preference, as I told the GM, would be for there to be no easy answers. People with admirable characteristics can exist in more than one faction and even though the goals of the factions may be incompatible, the people may like each other. And factions that seem 'evil' at a glance may be acting ruthlessly to prevent much worse things, just as factions with high-minded ethical ideas may be risking catastrophe.

So neither me nor my character knows whether Onyx Rain, Col. Ortiz and his men or some other group or faction are the 'good guys'.

Of course, Raul Vargas and whoever elects to throw in his lot with him is probably going to be unambigiously nasty. Vargas and his followers are all about using their powers to seize wealth and power. Vargas was a callous grade-A toolshed before he had superpowers and there is every reason to believe that he has grown even worse.