View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #124
Icelander

Default Re: 1980s American Cars, Guns, Gadgets and Consumer Goods [Atmosphere, look, minutiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
I got my first deer gun (a Remington 700 in .243) at age 12, approx 1983-1984. Of course my father bought it for me, though. Soft points were readily available.
That was pretty awesome of your father.

Do you recall anything about the ammunition in the 80s, who made it and how it was marked? Were those Jacketed Soft Points? How heavy were the bullets?

Quote:
The deer gun to be found in every pickup truck was a .30-30, though- a Winchester or a Marlin, usually. Ballistics are very roughly similar to 7.62x39mm.
One of the PCs already owns a Winchester Model 92 in .30-30 and one or more of the NPCs will own a Marlin 336 in the same.

Quote:
I grew up walking around town with a .22 rifle. (In rural Pennsylvania.) We'd head off to the creek to shoot frogs, and to the dump to shoot rats. This was "good clean fun." My neighbors would hire me to shoot the groundhogs that were digging up their gardens. Armed children were status quo, I guess.
You won't hear me claiming it is anything but good clean fun for children to shoot frogs and groundhogs. Now, arming bears, however...

Also, do you recall anything about the .22 LR ammunition you used in the 80s? What brands could you buy and what kind of bullets did those have? Was there anything soft or expanding? What about 'ball' ammo, under what name would it be sold in stores?

Quote:
And, yes, the first day of deer season was a de facto school holiday.
On the subject of school holidays, did you get a long Christmas break or just time off for the actual holidays themselves, i.e. Christmas Day and maybe the day before and after?

The PCs are in a tiny village on the 20th and 21st of December, 1988, and I'd like to know what the status on the local school is and where all the children will be during the day. Even if there is no teaching on those days, would there be some sort of day-care for younger kids still operating?